October 18, 2006


What do you do when you have run out of places to browse?

I’ll tell you where I go; I go to a game. Now I’m not what they call a gamester, one of those really serious, play hours on end, kind of a game player. I play what I suppose would have been called in years past as parlor games. Once years ago I was given as a gift from my sister-in-law and her husband two great CD ROM’s marketed under the well-known name of Hoyles card games and Hoyles board games. I have played games off of them for years. My favorites are spades, hearts, and gin rummy, they have many more, but those are the few I can play over and over again. In the board games my favorite is the old game Pachisi. These games are the sort that, at least to me, never gets tiresome.

That same husband of my sister-in-law and I have had a running game of chess, along with a game called Halma, a game something like Chinese checkers, and an off-shoot of Scrabble called Jamble on a great game site called ITS YOUR TURN. I make a move and click send, it goes to him, he makes a move and hits send, and that’s how it goes.

I admit I am a sap for some games that defy explanation of why do I like doing this. One of the current ones I do that fall into that description is a game called HELICOPTER. All you do is keep a helicopter in the air by missing walls that turn up on your course. It’s very simple and perhaps I am too because I love playing the game.

Another game that takes me back to my younger days is PINBALL. It works exactly like, well pinball. Turn the sound on and you’re back in the neighborhood malt shop or gin mill.

No comments: