October 19, 2006


I finished reading Mitch Albom’s current book entitled, FOR ONE MORE DAY.

It is a small book in size, about half the size of a standard book and only about 200 plus pages at that, one of those books if it is any good at all that you can finish in a few hours. I finished it in a few hours. I originally wanted to read the book because the title intrigued me and I had enjoyed his first book, TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE.

The premise generally asks the question, if you could spend a day with someone who has died, what would you ask him or her, or tell him or her? It is a proposition that anyone who has buried loved ones would jump at, I think. I’ve buried both my parents, as has my wife, and I have many questions about specific issues that will forever remain unresolved. But would I treat my personal ‘one more day’ as a Meet The Press question and answer time, or would I just pick a day to relive one more time? I don’t know.

When my mother was dying and she somehow knew she was, she told my wife to tell me if I wanted to know anything about her, now was the time to ask. Out of good manners, or reluctance on my part to possibly cause any more traumas than we were already dealing with, or running into a bad case of becoming tongue-tied, I didn’t ask anything. Yet there are things I would have liked to know. But to sit there in front of her and quiz her like a suspect in a police station, I could not do it. In actuality we probably know the answers to most of our unasked questions, maybe we just want to hear it said, or not said, aloud.

Get the book from your library, or if you’re flush with funds, buy it. It will at least give you pause and something to think about. I’m still thinking about it.

No comments: