February 10, 2011

Telling My Kids About Cancer: An Excerpt from The Foremost Good Fortune by Susan Conley - The Daily Beast

Telling My Kids About Cancer: An Excerpt from The Foremost Good Fortune by Susan Conley - The Daily Beast

An excerpt from a new book just out titled THE FOREMOST GOOD FORTUNE by Susan Conley. I have some personal experience (one person removed) trying to cope with the catastrophe that is cancer. My wife Hazel is a cancer victim and a one year survivor. We have consumed untold articles and news releases from all over the world on the subject. We have become very familiar with doctor speak, and odds, and living with it everyday. One conclusion I have come to is that women are much braver than men or maybe I should just say, me. I am not someone who would be chosen as a press secretary for the cancer society.

In order for Hazel to start her second year as a survivor she has to undergo a mammography and a visit once again to her oncologists for their interpretation of what the picture on the black celluloid x-ray where all our hopes and prayers and crossed fingers are focused says to their trained eyes. By all accounts she should be fine because like the old song by Helen Reddy, I AM WOMAN, I AM STRONG, she is handling it all very well. I on the other hand...well.

No comments: