September 28, 2009
Since the current issue of my favorite team is trying to set new records for how many games they can lose in a season, I will dial back my memory to a time when we had the services of one Leroy Paige, better known as SATCHEL.
Go to OPEN LETTERS to read the review of the new book and more about Satchel.
Satchel was a pitcher and philosopher. Here are some of his more famous thoughts:
1. Avoid fried meats which angry up the blood.
2. If your stomach disputes you, lie down and pacify it with cool thoughts.
3. Keep the juices flowing by jangling around gently as you move.
4. Go very light on the vices, such as carrying on in society – the social ramble ain’t restful.
5. Avoid running at all times.
6. And don’t look back – something might be gaining on you.