October 11, 2008

This has to be McCain's finest moment. His thoughts and concerns had to be on the country and the consequences if he let the dialog continue in the way it was headed. Good for you Senator McCain.


McCain calls Obama 'decent person,' is booed

McCain sort of can't win here.

Parnes reports from Minnesota:

A man in the audience stood up and told McCain he's "scared" of an Obama presidency and who he'd select for the Supreme Court.

"I have to tell you. Sen. Obama is a decent person and a person you don't have to be scared of as president of the United States," McCain said as the crowd booed and shouted "Come on, John!"

"If I didn't think I'd be a heck of a lot better, I wouldn't be running for president of the united states."

If it's not the Times editorial board jeering him, it's his own crowd.

ALSO: Whoa:

A woman at the town hall asks softly: "I've heard that Sen. Obama is an
Arab."

McCain quickly cuts the woman off.

"No, maam. He's a decent family man and citizen," McCain says. "He's
not. Thank you."

NOTE: Some reports from the ground said the woman used the word "terrorist." She didn't.


By Ben Smith 06:09 PM

2 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I beg to differ re: this being John McCain's "finest moment."

In response to the lady who said Obama was "an Arab"--McCain's response was "No, ma'am. He's a decent family man and citizen."

This would seem to suggest that Arabs are not "decent family men and citizens."

Also, his "thoughts and concerns" were directed more toward his standing in the polls (which have consistently shown his negative attacks weren't working) and his legacy...as it has always been throughout his career.

As far as I'm concerned, McCain is still a dirtbag. I'm Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. and I approve this message.

jimkitt said...

(chuckle) I'm glad you approve of your message Ivan.

But it shows I think that McCain is at war within himself and the good McCain is fighting internally with the guy who will do absolutely anything to move himself up in the polls. Dangerous territory? you bet it is as John Lewis said it's like throwing red meat to a lynch mob, it will get out of hand.

I hope Senator McCain will right his ship before it goes any further. I almost expect to see some folks in white sheets at his rallys soon. The McCains have always been an honorable family and I don't think the senator will want to go down in history as a rabble rousing race baiter. At least I hope not.