August 6, 2008

Things I miss.

Each morning while dressing after a cool or warm shower, dependent upon the season which one is more enjoyable, I like to listen to some old CD's. The majority of which feature music from the fifties, sixties, and seventies. These songs were the music that accompanied my wife and I through our young, very busy years and act now as signposts of my life.

They almost all captured a moment of each of our lives with lyrics that from time to time were close to poetic. I don't wish to be argumentative and compare this music to the sounds of rock and roll, but I think that is what rock and roll is, sound, usually loud and demanding with a strong percussive beat throughout. Apples and oranges I believe is the proper definition. I just happen to, because of my age I am sure, still get emotionally caught up in one of those blasts from the past as some hot DJ used to quip.

Lyrics like this for example are close to poetic: I left my heart in San Francisco, where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars..etc. It goes on to tell a story, and even though most of us probably have never been to San Francisco, can substitute a city of our choice and it will work just fine. Consider the song written by a unique talent, Hoagy Carmichael, called September Song that tells a story that is so poignant and prophetically true for all of us, I wonder why I like it so...the days dwindle down to a precious few..it gets me every time I hear it.

And then there is the great classic..Mares eat oats and Does eat oats, and little Lambs eat ivy...well maybe they weren't all keepers, but an awful lot were.

No comments: