February 2, 2008


Well Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow. The legend is if he sees his shadow then we will have six more weeks of winter. I ventured out yesterday myself and I can report that I did not see my shadow. As the matter of fact I think it may have been one of the ugliest days, weather wise, I've wallowed around in this winter. It was one of those days if a film maker were making a film about the travails of a rustbelt town he would have rejoiced because nature was providing all the necessary elements to provide the setting. The streets were wet with a little snow and the sun was invisible. I knew it was up there somewhere under all the dark clouds. The air we breathed was clear, but cold, cold, cold. When we emerged from Barnes and Nobel after about a half hour visit, we had to walk very carefully to our car because the lot had turned to ice. The streets likewise were turning to ice and the city trucks were out throwing salt again. All in all, I don't think I needed a report by the venerable Phil of Pennsylvania that winter is now yet over, I know, I know.

No comments: