March 13, 2007





















From whence the technology came. This is a picture of a pyramid switchboard in 1882. It was located in Richmond, Virginia. Now of course, all the switching is done through computers and we receive our calls through the always present cell phone. I've grown used to seeing people walking down the street or through the supermarket talking to themselves, actually through some hands-free device stuck in their ear. In years not so far ago, they would have been thought to be showing signs of mental distress. I sometimes think they actually are by being constantly attached to the device and surrendering any quiet time for themselves to perhaps think, or just enjoy solitary time for a few moments. Naw, I'm out of step, too old, but I still remember when I would give my eight hours to the job, and value the other sixteen hours as mine.

No comments: