May 10, 2006




I appreciate art, mostly american art. I suppose that's because I can understand most of what I see and can relate to it in one way or another. But the one form of art, american or otherwise, that I cannot understand is abstract or modern art, epitomized in this painting by Jackson Pollock.

I selected Pollock because I know he used the 'paint bucket' school of painting for a period in his career. That is putting a huge canvas on the floor and mixing his paint in buckets and by pouring, throwing, drizzling, the paint on the canvas created some of his most famous works. I do appreciate the colors, the mixing and matching and designs, not unlike wallpaper or tile for walls, but I cringe when I hear intelligent people wax elequently about the meaning of it. Please, come on, what meaning can there be in a drop cloth?


"Jackson Pollock Quotes"

It’s all a big game of construction, some with a brush, some with a shovel, some choose a pen.


The method of painting is the natural growth out of a need. I want to express my feelings rather than illustrate them.

On the floor I am more at ease. I feel nearer, more a part of the painting, since this way I can walk around it, work from the four sides and literally be in the painting.

The painting has a life of its own.

Every good painter paints what he is.

No comments: