January 23, 2014

Happiest Day, it even makes me happy to recall what I can.

In the late fifties Hazel and I found ourselves many evenings sitting on the cement steps leading to the Potomac, embracing the relative solitude at the Watergate and waiting for the entertainment of the evening to start.  It was always free which was just about what we could afford  The concerts continued until the early sixties and then gave it up because they could not compete with the noise of the jets arriving just up the road a bit at National airport.  We lived just down the road a piece in Alexandria.  It was the happiest time for me.  Hazel and I were very young and thrilled with our town and our future which was always uncertain except we were happy with our lot and we knew that opportunities were always just around the corner.

No comments: