April 25, 2009


Roy Lichtenstein painted this in 1982, and he called it I LOVE LIBERTY.

Now what liberty he liked in particular I don't know. But, I can tell you what kind of liberty I like. Like may be too small a word, maybe love would be more apt.

I love the liberty to be able to write (sometimes) stupid words and have it sent to all parts of the world, without any fear of someone knocking on my door in the middle of the night. This should not be taken for granted, its a big one.

I like the idea that I can move freely through all our fifty states, or for that matter most of the world without explaining the whys and wherefores of it.

I like being able to act or say stupid things without being locked away because of my ignorance. We tolerate stupidity in this country, actually sometimes we celebrate it.

I appreciate the freedom to smoke myself to death, or to suck whiskey until I turn blue, although neither appeal to me and I surrender my rights to do so, but I could if I saw fit to do it.

What Lichtenstein loved about liberty I don't know, but I suppose the right to paint a canvas all black and tell us it was a red bus at night might be part of it.

We all should love liberty, or at least appreciate what millions of people through time gave their lives for so we could enjoy it.

No comments: