December 13, 2008

I love walking for relaxation, certainly for exercise, maybe for time to think out a problem, or maybe just to enjoy the beauty of the passing scene, but I've never thought about it as deeply as the reviewer D.T. Max has, or certainly as much as the author Geoff Nicholson has. I enjoyed reading the review, enough so that I will look it up for more extensive reading. Read the whole review here.

If golf is a good walk spoiled, then walking is a great game made dull. How sluggish locomotion is, compared with the speed at which the mind absorbs new images and information. The brain strains at the body’s tether, seethes for new scenery, new stimulation, bridles at the slow feet below. Look at that tree with such lovely orange leaves, how pretty it is. . . . A minute later: the same tree, the same leaves, still good looking. Walking is adding with an abacus, it’s space travel on a donkey.


All the same, many people do it, and clearly Geoff Nicholson, the British author of “The Lost Art of Walking,” is among them. “I’ve strolled and wandered, pottered and tottered, dawdled and shuffled, mooched and sauntered and meandered,” he brags at the beginning of this pleasant tour of the literature and lore of ambulation. “I’ve certainly ambled and I could be said to have rambled. . . . I’ve also shambled, but I don’t think I’ve ever gamboled.”

No comments: